Personal Injury / Wrongful Death Settlement
When an injured person comes to my office for a free consultation, they often ask for an estimate of the amount of the settlement they can expect. Unfortunately, no simple formula exists to find out how much a personal injury or wrongful death claim is worth. A great variety of factors play into the ultimate settlement figure. Some factors will be specifically related to the facts of your case; other factors will depend on the experience and reputation of your personal injury lawyer.
Will the insurance company look out for your best interests?
NO! Without an attorney, the insurance company will try to convince you that your claim isn’t worth much. It is in the insurance company’s best interest to settle your personal injury claim as cheaply as possible. Because we take our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis (your attorney fees are a percentage of whatever we recover for you), we are motivated to get you the largest personal injury settlement amount possible. Even after the attorney fees have been paid, an individual who is represented by an attorney will recover more in damages than an individual who tried to do it alone.
Does it pay to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer?
YES! I have been handling personal injury and wrongful death cases for over 25 years and have represented hundreds of personal injury clients and their families. Once I gather medical and economic information, I can make a decent estimate of what a jury would award you. I then use the evidence and expert witness opinions I have gathered to convince an insurance adjuster that you have a worthy case and that a jury would award you just damages to compensate you for your injuries. The insurance adjusters know that I have the skills and resources to succeed at trial. Negotiation skills, when matched with the threat of trial, can effectively maximize the amount of a personal injury settlement.
What individual factors determine the worth of a personal injury settlement?
If you have been involved in an accident, your accident settlement can depend upon many factors such as:
- Severity of the injury or whether the injury resulted in a change of appearance, such as facial scarring or disfigurement
- Severity of the impact of the accident
- Length of treatment for the injury
- Whether future surgery is recommended
- Amount of permanent tissue or nerve damage that resulted
- How much work was missed and how much pay was lost
- How the injury affected your lifestyle
- What kind of career you had, and whether it was permanently lost or affected by the injuries
- Whether your actions contributed to your injuries
- The amount of the defendant’s insurance policy.
From offices in Marlborough, MA., I serve clients in Boston and Springfield, and throughout Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Worcester and Suffolk counties.